Traditions Vortek StrikerFire LDR
Here’s a look at a muzzleloader rifle that will excel in any season.
Rain had fallen for most the night and the steady downpour was projected to last the next full day. Generally, wet weather and blackpowder hunting or shooting exploits don’t play well together, yet the persistent downpour would be a great test of a new rifle.
A friend and I headed for a thick creek bottom where we hoped to find a good buck, tucked into a tight pocket of cover like many sane hunters were on this day. After several attempts, we crossed the swollen stream and climbed through a dense patch of cedars on the far side. Suddenly, two bucks jumped from a small depression. One bounded away, yet the second deer – which may have been asleep, took a few jumps and stopped. My red dot centered on its chest and the air filled with dense smoke, downing the 10-point buck in seconds.
Special muzzleloading seasons often occur during inclement weather and you need the confidence that your rifle will fire every time and strike with sufficient force and accuracy to down game quickly. I’ve found the Traditions LDR is up to that challenge and more. Here’s a quick look at the features:
- Going the Distance- This rifle has a 30-inch barrel that’s designed for accuracy and a complete powder burn. You’ll get consistent down range accuracy and buck-bagging ability out to 200 yards.
- The internal striker fire system helps seal the breech and makes the rifle safer to shoot. The hammerless design makes it easier to mount a scope.
- Slide the striker button forward until it locks and the rifle is cocked. The striker fire system allows for quicker and quieter cocking of the rifle, faster lock time, and gives you recessed de‐cocking button allows for quick and quiet de‐cocking of the firearm.
- De‐cocking the firearm is simple. The recessed de‐cocking button allows for quick and quiet de‐cocking. Also, when you break open the gun an automatic de‐cocking occurs.
- The rifle is also equipped with a 1‐piece stainless steel Accelerator Breech Plug™ that allows you to fire both loose and palletized powder without changing the breech plug and
- Stow‐N‐Go Removable Butt Pad for storage just to name a few in the long list of feature.
- This rifle is equipped with a TAC2™ Trigger System that is a 2‐stage, competition‐style trigger set at two pounds.
I often use a muzzleloading rifle in traditional rifle or shotgun seasons. Although I’m limited to one shot, with this rifle, I’m confident that one is all I will need. Check it out at www.traditionsfirearms.com.