Upgraded Pier Improves Fishing Access to Lake Erie
By NYSDEC Press Release
Repair work and accessibility improvements to the Dunkirk Fishing Pier in the City of Dunkirk, Chautauqua County, are now complete. Enhancements to the pier now offer improved access to one of Lake Erie’s most popular fishing sites.
The Dunkirk Fishing Pier is located in Dunkirk Harbor and provides exceptional, year-round fishing opportunities in an urban setting. It is a favorite Lake Erie fishing destination among Western New York anglers for trout, bass, panfish and walleye.
Improvements to the pier include:
- An upgraded design to create greater accessibility for all users
- Repair work to ensure the pier’s structural stability
- Reconstruction of the existing wooden fishing pier above the existing steel substructure
- Replacement of a portion of a concrete sidewalk to improve accessibility
- Installation of accessible railings and benches
- Aesthetic improvements
Construction activities were funded through the NY Works program. DEC publishes a weekly updated fishing hotline for Lake Erie on DEC’s website, or by calling (716) 855-FISH.