- ADRIAN COLLEGE WINS YETI-FLW NORTHERN CONFERENCE
- Jarret Martin & Zachary Graham Haul in 20 Bass, Weigh 5 biggest: 16lbs-3oz
- Presented by Bass Pro Shops
CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (July 24, 2017) - The Adrian College duo of Jarrett Martin and Zachary Graham, both of Gallipolis, Ohio, won the YETI FLW College Fishing Northern Conference tournament at Chautauqua Lake. Presented by Bass Pro Shops, the two-angler team weighed in their five-bass limit at 16 pounds, 3 ounces. The victory earned the Adrian College Bass Club $2,000 and the team will now advance to compete in the 2018 FLW College Fishing National Championship.
"We were fishing on the north end of the lake," said Graham, a sophomore, double majoring in environmental studies and geology. "We found a stretch of bank with no docks with a long, rocky flat. About 40 yards off of the bank, the rock would meet the grass, and we just worked the grass-line all day long."
"It was really one of the only green grassy areas that we were able to find," said Martin, a senior majoring in business administration. "The lake has been sprayed recently, and there was quite a bit of brown, dead grass, but the fish were in the green stuff."
"Jarrett was throwing a Rebel Pop-R surface plug, off of the front all day and I was throwing a Fluke off of the back," Graham said. "We doubled up at least seven times."
The duo estimated they caught around 20 keeper bass throughout the day – with around 13 smallmouth and seven largemouth. Their five-bass limit at the weigh-in consisted of two smallmouth and three largemouth.
"I think the key for us was the cloud cover," Martin said. "If it would have been sunny, the fish would have been hiding in the shade, but the way the clouds were, the bass were in the mood to eat all day. They were extremely active."
"I think the Pop-R was the key," Graham added. "We have a lot of confidence in that bait and it produced the two biggest fish of the day for us."
The top 10 teams that advanced to the 2018 College Fishing National Championship are:
- 1st: Adrian College - Jarrett Martin and Zachary Graham, both of Gallipolis, Ohio, five bass, 16-3, $2,400
- 2nd: Lake Superior State University - Jake Dorony, South Lyon, Mich., and Hunter Scharphorn, Grand Haven, Mich., five bass, 15-6, $1,000
- 3rd : Adrian College - Nicholas Czajka, Brighton, Mich., and Jack Hippe III, Davison, Mich., five bass, 15-3, $700
- 4th : Youngstown State University - Jonathan Creed, Niles, Ohio, and Mike Soots, McDonald, Ohio, five bass, 14-13, $500
- 5th : James Madison University - Blake Miles, Chesterfield, Va., and Jack Goodwyn, Powhatan, Va., five bass, 14-12, $500
- 6th: Michigan State University - Tyler Andrews, Charlotte, Mich., and Danny Sprague, Hastings, Mich., five bass, 14-8
- 7th: Pennsylvania State University - Derek Horner, Port Matilda, Pa., and Maurice Hudson, Broomall, Pa., five bass, 14-4
- 8th: Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - Joe Tini, Archibald, Pa., and Corey Bechtel, Allentown, Pa., five bass, 14-1
- 9th: Pennsylvania State University - Chris Trianosky, Phoenixville, Pa., and Lou Mocniak, Washington, Pa., five bass, 13-14
- 10th: West Virginia University - Michael Shughart, Shippensburg, Pa., and Branden Newcome, Ellamore, W.Va., five bass, 13-4
Complete results can be found atFLWFishing.com<https://www.flwfishing.com/results/2017-07-22-chautauqua-lake> .
This YETI FLW College Fishing Northern Conference event at Chautauqua Lake was the second regular-season qualifying tournament for Northern Conference anglers in 2017. The next YETI FLW College Fishing event will be the Northern Conference regular-season finale, scheduled for Sep. 9 on Lake Erie in Sandusky, Ohio.
YETI FLW College Fishing teams compete in three regular-season qualifying tournaments in one of five conferences - Central, Northern, Southern, Southeastern and Western. The top ten teams from each division's three regular-season tournaments, along with an additional qualifier for every 10 teams over 100 that compete, along with the top 20 teams from the annual YETI FLW College Fishing Open advance to the 2018 FLW College Fishing National Championship.
College Fishing is free to enter. All participants must be registered, full-time students at a college, university or community college and members of a college fishing club that is recognized by their school.
For regular updates, photos, tournament news and more, follow College Fishing here:
Visit FLW Fishing at http://www.collegefishing.com to sign up or to start a club at your school.
About FLW - FLW is the world's largest tournament-fishing organization, providing anglers of all skill levels the opportunity to compete for millions in prize money in 2017 across five tournament circuits. Headquartered in Benton, Kentucky, with offices in Minneapolis, FLW conducts more than 258 bass-fishing tournaments annually across the United States and sanctions tournaments in Canada, China, Mexico, South Africa and South Korea. FLW tournament fishing can be seen on the Emmy-nominated "FLW" television show, broadcast to more than 564 million households worldwide, while FLW Bass Fishing magazine delivers cutting-edge tips from top pros.
For more information visit FLWFishing on-line at: http://www.flwfishing.com/ and also follow FLW here:
Hey, like this? Why not share it with a buddy?
« Kevin VanDam and His Nephew, Jonathon, will lead St. Lawrence Elite Series Event into FinalsBLACK BEARS ACTIVE in New York State DIX MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS »