By Tony Roach and Target Walleye Staff:
Target Walleye has talked alot about using Rapala Jigging Raps for open-water 'eyes, but they also make killer hardwater baits. Of course there's more than one way to fish 'em, but here's Tony Roach's take:
- His go-to bait summer and winter...but downsizes to a #5 on ice.
- Fishes it really aggressive (as fast as he can!) to get fish interested. Darts off to the sides of the hole and covers a much larger area.
- Slows the bait down as soon as soon as he graphs a fish, but still keeps the bait aggressive and moving.
- Doesn't tip it with a minnow head...says it screws up the action.
- Likes 6-lb mono since it doesn't hold moisture and freeze up like braid.
More info in this Wired2Fish video where Tony is putting 'em to work on "The Big Pond." #Money
On clear-water or high-sun days, Tony likes using colors like yellow perch or blue chrome.
In stained water or low-light conditions he uses brighter colors.