April 30, 2018; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL. – Sportsmen are spending millions of dollars on hunting and recreational shooting equipment, but which brands are they buying? Southwick Associates surveyed more than 20,000 hunters and recreational shooters in 2017 through their online HunterSurvey and ShooterSurvey consumer panels to identify the top brands in the market.
In 2017, some of the most purchased hunting and shooting brands include:
- Top rifle ammunition brand: American Eagle
- Top reflex/red dot sight brand: Vortex
- Top brand of scope mount: Leupold
- Top propellant/powder brand: Pyrodex
- Top bow brand: Bear
- Top arrow brand: Easton
- Top brand of nocks: Nockturnal
- Top archery target brand: Hurricane
- Top archery sight brand: Tru Glo
- 10.Top reloading press brand: Lee Precision
- Top reloading brass shell case brand: Starline
- Top reloading shot brand: Eagle
- Top coverall brand: Bass Pro/Redhead
- 14.Top backpack/waist/duffle brand: Badlands
- Top decoy brand: Zink/Avian-X
- Top food plot brand: Mossy Oak Biologic
- Top trail camera brand: Wildgame Innovations
- Top hunting knife brand: Buck
- Top holster/ammo belt brand: Blackhawk
- Top choke tube brand: Carlson
- Top grip/buttstock brand: Magpul
More than one hundred products are examined in the Southwick Associates 2017 Hunting & Shooting Participation and Equipment Purchases Report. This in-depth resource illustrates sportsmen’s participation and shopping behaviors, including the percentage of sales occurring across different retail channels, brand purchased, price paid, and demographics for hunters and shooters buying specific products. Additional information tracked includes total days spent per activity, type of hunting / shooting activity, preferred species and where they hunt.
In addition to the topline reports covering hunting and target shooting, annual reports are also offered for special segments including archery consumers, deer hunters, turkey hunters, and waterfowl hunters. These reports provide the industry with an in-depth profile along with trend insights on the specific market.
Custom, confidential research is also available to help understand brand awareness/perceptions, identify products most desired by consumers, optimal pricing, and more. To purchase a report or discuss custom research, contact Nancy Bacon at Nancy@SouthwickAssociates.com.
Southwick Associates is a market research and economics firm, specializing in the hunting, shooting, sportfishing, and outdoor recreation markets. For more than 25 years, Southwick Associates has established a proven record for delivering comprehensive insights and statistics assisting business and strategic decisions across the entire outdoor industry; from government agencies, industry associations and non-profit organizations, to affiliated businesses and manufacturers. Aside from custom market research, Southwick Associates also provides syndicated participation, media consumption and equipment purchase tracking studies utilizing their proprietary sportsmen panels.