Bluefish is a popular saltwater game fish found in tropical and subtropical waters around the world. In the United States, they are found from the Florida Coast to Massachusetts, and also in the Gulf of Mexico. Bluefish are caught in great quantities, and when cooked up fresh, they are delicious. But what do you do with all the extra bluefish or the bluefish that is in the freezer? That is easy to answer—make mouthwatering, flavorful smoked fish with a proven recipe using proven brine recipe with proven seasonings.
Bluefish are known to be very oily with a fishy taste, which some people don’t enjoy. The nasty taste is compounded when they are frozen. To overcome that fishy flavor, simply brine the fish in one of the delicious Hi Mountain Seasonings and easy-to-use fish brines – flavors include: Alaska Salmon, Wild River Trout or Gourmet Fish (you can use any of the brines, don’t let the names fool you, they are all-purpose.) The brining process helps to remove the oily flavor and infuses moisture which is needed for the next step in this recipe, which is smoking.
So before you toss those frozen fish, make some palate-pleasing treats with your smoker for everyone to enjoy. Serve them plain or with your favorite dipping sauce.
Hi Mountain’s entire line of products, cooking tips, instructional videos and recipes are also available at www.himtnjerky.com. Hi Mountain products also can be found at high-end sporting-goods stores, farm-and-ranch stores, and many local grocery stores.
Located in the heart of Wyoming, Hi Mountain Seasonings Company was founded in 1991. Hi Mountain is the premier manufacturer of kits for homemade jerky and sausage and has successfully captured distinct, traditional Western flavors in its jerky cure & seasonings, Western-style seasonings, bacon cures and other products that make up the unique line of gourmet Western seasonings.
For additional information, write Hi Mountain Seasonings, 1000 College View Drive, Riverton, WY 82501; call toll-free 1-800-829-2285; or visit the company website at www.himtnjerky.com.
Smoked Bluefish Recipe:
- 4-5 lbs. of bluefish fillets
- 1 pouch of Hi Mountain Seasonings Gourmet Fish Brine
- 1 gallon of Ice Water
- 1 non-metallic container
- HMS Gourmet Fish Seasoning*
- HMS Trail Dust*
- Pork Rub*
(*These can be substituted with any of the HMS seasonings you prefer. All of the rubs and seasonings are all-purpose seasonings.)
- Chill the fish in your frig before curing. Dissolve 1 pouch of brine in one gallon of ice water in a non-metallic container. Immerse the fish into the brine, making sure all the fillets are completely covered. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After the curing process is complete, preheat your smoker to 180°. Remove fish from brine and rinse fillets with tap water. Pat dry with a paper towel. Spray a cooky rack with non-stick cooking spray and place the dried fillets on a rack and season with your selected choice of HMS seasonings.
- Place the rack of seasoned fish into your smoker and turn the heat up to 200°. Smoke the fillets until they have an internal temperature between 155° and 165°. Remove the rack of fish from the smoker and let cool before serving.